Sunday 15 April 2012

Tag Tag Tag Tag

My Mum has fully recovered from her operation, the huge deluge of Birthdays in my family that hits the late march/early april is over and a very stressful meeting to do with my social anxiety has passed.  Ahhh I can relax! So I'm hopping back up on the blogging horse and hope to be posting more regularly from now on. I actually have a proper review coming up! (Hopefully tomorrow, I just need to take some swatch shots when the light is nice).
To ease me back in I thought I'd do a tag post because I find them really fun to write. I stole this from Jansara's amazing, fantastic blog. I ain't tagging anyone because I wasn't properly tagged myself, so just do this if you wanna! 

1. What Sparked your interest in Makeup and what made you decide to start blogging? 
I honestly can't remember what originally drew me to makeup, I just remember being about 8 or 9 and raiding my Mum's makeup stash for lipstick and eyeshadow. I have a vivid memory of jumping up and down on her bed listening to David Bowie, having just slathered my mouth in bright red lipstick and lots of black eyeliner. My guess is that my sister Lydia inspired me to play with it, she was 5 years older than me and had a sort of Britpop/indie/goth look going on (lots of eyeliner, burgundy lipstick, bindis etc) and I idolised and loved her. The first time I can remember going out in public in makeup was to a Christmas school disco. My friend Xenia and I bought some makeup together from Miss Selfridge (who used to have AWESOME makeup!) and wore matching faces with one eye in electric blue mascara and the other in bright green with bright orange lips (I still own that lipstick!). 

(Lydia and I circa 1998ish)

As for when I started blogging,  again I can't really remember. I started in 2009 just after I'd finished my art degree and think I was quite depressed. I didn't get the results I was hoping for and felt disappointed with myself and let down by my Tutor and I just didn't feel like painting much at that time. But I still needed an outlet for my creativity so wanted to start writing some sort of blog. Since starting to wear makeup I've always been creative with my looks (i.e. not particularly good at it) and loved buying and playing with it so thought it would be a good thing to concentrate on.

2. If you could only use one monochromatic set of colors of eyeshadow what would it be? I.e. only shades of blue.
Probably pink as it's my favourite colour and looks nice with my blue eyes. 


3. Do you prefer playing with eyeshadow, lipstick or nail polish?
Lipstick.  I just looove lipstick. 

4.  What do you want to be "when you grow up"? 
An artist or illustrator.  

(Painting by me)

5. Favorite band/musician?
Sparks they're just the greatest band ever. I could go on for hours about why I love them (drop me an email if you're interested in hearing my babble! :P) but basically this is why:



I also love David Devant and his Spirit Wife, ABC, David Bowie, Cyndi Lauper, Kate Bush, Pet Shop Boys,  Aqua, Abba, Adam and the Ants, the Smiths and Morrissey, Rammstein, The Beatles, Art Brut, Bruce Springsteen, The Divine Comedy, Pulp, Oingo Boingo and many many many more!

 6. Favorite guilty pleasure?
Watching bad bad bad tv (Toddlers and Tiaras, Eastenders, Neighbours, Judge Judy etc). Also chocolate.

7. How do you like to spend your days (you know after you've played with makeup xD)
I paint/draw/sculpt etc, look after the animals, tidy the house, cook,  listen to music, watch TV and at the moment I'm making my own makeup!

8. Do you have any pets? If so, names and pictures! 
The only pet in the house that is actually mine is Sir Digby Chicken Caesar, my miniature Daschund



but I also look after and love my Mum's dog Minnie, Claire's dog Perry, my sisters 3 ferrets Yetta, Rikku and Feargal, Mum's guinea pig Portia and the communal cats Mr Darcy and Weevil. You're not having photos of all of them because it would take too long!

9. Do you prefer indie companies or cooperate companies to buy your makeup from?
If you'd asked me this 6 months ago I definately would have said indie companies but since then I've been stung by a lot of them and tend to prefer big companies in general. There are of course exceptions and I still love the whole indie makeup thing! In my opinion a good company is a good company regardless of size.

10.  The most rewarding thing about blogging for you?
Just interacting with other people, sharing opinions, inspiring each other and just talking to people I wouldn't have met had it not been for the beauty blogging world.

11.  Who inspired you?
Mizzworthy, Phyrra and Pixiwoo were the main people I looked at when I started blogging

Fun fun fun!

6 comments:

  1. Bindis were so 90s, blame Gwen Stefani. They got me a set as a kid as part of the trend too. They used to sell really pretty ones though...still have it stuck somewhere in my room. Oh those silly trends.

    I <3 dacshunds. Chicken Caesar? hahaha

    What are your thoughts on the Spice Girls? They were huge in the US. I saw people like Ginger Spice and wanted to dye my hair red, which I eventually did years later. The need to dye clearly started young. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a great interview Lill, reading Jansara's answers about growing up, I can imagine just where my 9yo (The Stylist) is heading - there are some lovely similarities there ... fun, artistic, thoughtful, crazy and sensitive:)). I'm glad your mum has recovered hon and all those bloody b'days are out of the way! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, I LOVED Bindis back in the day! I thought I was the shiz when I wore one, haha! Glad Mummy FunnyFace is all recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post Lillian! You've just reminded me of my earliest memory of experimenting with make-up, which is me and my sister buying a bright blue lipstick so we could wear red on the top lip and blue on the bottom, like the pepsi advert!! The things we do as kids eh! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the back-in-the-day picture of you and your sister!!! I love Judge Judy and Toddlers and Tiaras as well!!They're like car accidents: terrible, but you just can't look away :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to reply to every one i get.